All hail the queens

All hail the queens

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under Features, Life, Most Recent

Two hours before the show, Jessica Bereton was still wearing a plastic hospital wristband. Even though she’d been sick for a week and a half, even though she just got out of the hospital today, she refused to miss the Spring King Fling. After the show, she was going back to the hospital—but for... Read more »

Heritage Week approaches

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
March 25, 2013
Filed under Campus News, Most Recent, News

The American Indian Student Alliance (AISA) will kick off 2013 American Indian Heritage Week April 8. Heritage Week is an annual celebration of culture and history that includes a variety of performances, lectures and workshops. For the first time, AISA has partnered with Coeur d’Alene Charter Academy... Read more »

Students weigh in on gun control

Students weigh in on gun control

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
March 7, 2013
Filed under Life, Most Recent, Top Stories

In Northern Idaho, guns... Read more »

Students bring costumed creativity to campus

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
March 4, 2013
Filed under Life, Most Recent

A demon-slaying angel, the most famous singer in the galaxy and Tony Stark were all on campus recently. At least, NIC student cosplayers who had taken on their personas were. Cosplay, short for “costume play,” is a performance art in which... Read more »

Editorial: Boy Scouts must lift gay ban

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
March 4, 2013
Filed under Editorial, Most Recent, Perspectives

The Boy Scouts of America recently announced that the organization’s executive board will vote in May on whether to lift the ban on openly gay Scouts and troop leaders. After a century of discrimination, it’s time for the BSA to do the right thing. The BSA no longer has the luxury of pushing gay... Read more »

Editorial: Republican mandates killing United States Postal Service, not decline in ‘snail mail’

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
February 11, 2013

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night can stay these couriers from the swift competition of their appointed rounds—but Republican mandates certainly can. Starting in August, the USPS will stop some Saturday delivery. But let’s not all panic at once. Only first-class mail will be affected,... Read more »

V-Day promotes awareness about violence against women

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
February 11, 2013
Filed under Features, Life, Most Recent

It’s called V-Day: V for victory, for valentine and for vagina. It’s a global strike,... Read more »

Editorial: Holiday spirit abounds

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
December 11, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Most Recent

What does this season mean to you? Maybe one (or more) of the holidays this month has particular religious significance for you. Maybe you don’t celebrate any holidays, but you enjoy the season anyway, as well as the opportunities for generosity and cheerfulness it brings. Maybe December brings... Read more »

Editorial: Holidays ideal time to indulge inner child

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
December 11, 2012

‘This the season to watch children’s movies. For some reason, most holiday movies seem to be geared toward children, and that’s just fine with me. During the rest of the year, I tend to get sideways looks when I indulge in my passion for kid’s movies by doing things like renting “High School... Read more »

Editorial: November offers unique creative opportunity

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
November 22, 2012

This month, I’ve been working on a project: writing a novel in 30 days. I promise it’s not as crazy as it sounds. November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. Every year, beginning Nov. 1, thousands of writers all over the world try to pen a 50,000-word novel before the stroke... Read more »

Actors bring Shakespearean comedy to NIC stage

Andrea Jackson and Kaye Thornbrugh
October 31, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Most Recent

It’s amazing how, in love, things get blown out of proportion. NIC’s theatre department presented William Shakespeare’s “Much Ado about Nothing” Oct. 25-27. This comedy is about two pairs of lovers. One pair, Benedick and Beatrice, first deny their love for each other then, later, reluctantly... Read more »

Student prowls park as Scarywood monster

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
October 29, 2012
Filed under Life, Most Recent, Special Features

Jesus Nunez gives new meaning to the phrase “odd job.” He works in a swamp that teems with lizard women and animatronic frights. Beyond the butcher shop, past the crowd of feasting cannibals, near the crackling electric room where victims fry—that’s where you’ll find him. It’s a fifteen-minute... Read more »

Editorial: Feminism still relevant to society

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
October 29, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Most Recent

I want to have a conversation about the F word. Yes, that F word: feminist. I’m a feminist. I don’t hear other people utter that sentence very often. In fact, I know many women who cringe at the label, and who preface any statement that supports women’s rights with, “Well, I’m... Read more »

Opinion: City candidates impact students

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
October 6, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

Colleges are unique institutions. For a multitude of reasons, most students are protectively isolated from the buzz of the wider world. This isolation serves an admirable purpose -- the pursuit of knowledge (or maybe not, as evidenced by the single-mindedness with which many students drink). However,... Read more »

Editorial: A new semester brings a time for change

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
September 19, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Perspectives

The times, they are a-changin’. This semester, NIC has a new president, Joe Dunlap, and a fresh vice president, Lita Burns. Diamond Parking will now be patrolling the parking lots, and even keeping a watchful eye over Rosenberry Drive. All across campus, students are using NIC as their vehicle of... Read more »

Cardinals cleanse coastline

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
September 15, 2012
Filed under Life

Despite the heat, students, alumni and community members combed Yapqui’nm Beach for debris Sept. 8 as part of the American Indian Student Alliance’s annual beach cleanup. The cleanup was initiated by NIC alumnus and former AISA president Jason Smith. According to Smith, the cleanup is designed both... Read more »

History comes full circle

History comes full circle

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
April 9, 2012
Filed under Life

A red and blue glow rose behind the stage, and an array of lights faded in like stars when the pipe music began—ethereal and dreamlike, floating through the auditorium like the music of another world. Members of the audience held their breaths, transfixed. Bill... Read more »

Legacy of strength

Legacy of strength

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
February 27, 2012

When Nicholas Black Elk was an old man, he had a dream. In the dream, Black Elk saw young American Indian men and women all dressed in red. They had carried a sacred fire across the land—through tornados, rain and hail—and were coming into Wounded Knee to liberate the people. The dream became... Read more »

Fighting with an empty hand

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
December 4, 2011
Filed under Life, Sports

Wax on, wax off. Clad in a black gi—a training uniform—instructor Dale Eberwein casts his gaze over the students of his intermediate kenpo karate class. He is called “Sifu” by his students, a Chinese word meaning “master” or “teacher.” Mirrors... Read more »

Learning lessons through heritage

Kaye Thornbrugh, Managing Editor
November 16, 2011
Filed under Life

Robbie Paul’s journey began on the night she almost took her own life. Six months before, her husband left her. Paul, an enrolled Nez Perce tribal member, said she “was going to be that tough Indian woman and not feel.” She fell into a deep depression, refusing... Read more »