Up and coming record store day may be epic

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
April 16, 2014
Filed under Entertainment, Most Recent

April is a time for many different festivities as spring has just started to make its appearance. Many events in this month are consistent, considering Easter and seasonal changes seem to always take place during this time. One festivity that has recently become more popular is Record Store... Read more »

Ridding diet of GMO’s not as hard as it seems

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
April 16, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

There are a lot of things in life that people decide to invest in. Whether it is a house, stocks, or even a college education, people tend to spend time and money on things in order to benefit from them. What most people do not realize is that one of the most overlooked investment opportunities is their... Read more »

Film Club screening of “Fight Club” success

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
April 8, 2014
Filed under Entertainment

The new and up-coming North Idaho College Film Club held their first event and it was considered to be a great success. The group screened the movie “Fight Club” which had attracted a crowd of around 33 people to the event. “We picked something that the audience knew about and also something... Read more »

Karaoke returns to NIC

Karaoke returns to NIC

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Entertainment, Features, Most Recent

The NIC Publications Club will be hold a “Make Your Own Karaoke” workshop on Thursday, March 6 in the basement of the Student Union Building. NIC instructor Geoff Carr will be hosting the event, and he will be bringing along his personal collection of karaoke songs. “Regular karaoke events... Read more »

Photography instructor to retire

Photography instructor to retire

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Features, Life, Uncategorized

Photography instructor Phil Corlis has had a long ride here at NIC and at the end of this current spring semester he will be retiring, leaving behind a legacy that may go unmatched for a long time. The energetic instructor’s career at NIC seems like it has gone by fast since he first arrived in... Read more »

Column: Halloween movies getting typical

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Columns

Well it’s getting close to that time when children will be prowling the streets looking to score free candy in their costumes and adults will be on the brink of alcohol poisoning in costumes as well. Isn’t Halloween just the best? The others who don’t prefer to hang out with Baby Ruth or Jack... Read more »

Q & A with singing comedian Brian O’Sullivan

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
September 15, 2013

Brian O’Sullivan, like many other comedians, likes to combine comedy with music. With a guitar in hand and witty lyrics flowing from his mouth, O’Sullivan is able to make his audience hum along and chuckle. O’Sullivans show on September 10th was held in the lower level of the SUB; a setting that... Read more »

Mentalist Sean Bott, Comedian Adam Grabowski open school year

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
September 15, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Features, Most Recent, Top Stories, Uncategorized

After a long summer, ASNIC kicked off the school year with a show that left NIC students with sore sides and blown minds.  Nationally praised mentalist Sean Bott and 2013 comedian of the year Adam Grabowski performed at the Schuler Performing Arts Center August 28th and showed how truly puzzling and... Read more »

Jazz Concert: ‘J Mood’

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
May 8, 2013

The tone was set as soon as the audience walked through the doorway of Schular Performing Arts Center. The stage was full of instruments and microphones that were soon to be handled by their respected musicians. The lights on the stage illuminated the walls with a mellow array of colors that set the... Read more »

A night of Les Miserables

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
May 8, 2013

The NIC vocal and choral students made good use of a small space while performing pieces from Les Miserables at the Bakery by the Lake at Parkside. The bakery was packed full of many anxious performers and audience members who were forced out of their comfort zones throughout the evening. The show... Read more »

Students help citizens of Portland

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Features, Life, Most Recent

One of the steps toward helping and understanding a group of people is walking a mile in their shoes. Students from the NIC recreational sports department did just that when they took a trip over spring break that changed their lives forever. “It was an overwhelming and amazing experience,” Jessica... Read more »

Dorm Life: Bad internet connection in Resident Hall

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
March 26, 2013
Filed under Columns

I have recently moved into the dorms this semester and so far it is going well. I’m making good friends and keeping myself out of trouble which is a pretty helpful thing when it comes to succeeding in college. The one thing that isn’t helping me is the dorms’ poor Internet connection. This is... Read more »

Return to the illuminated stage

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
March 26, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Features

The North Idaho College music department has seen plenty of musicians come and go, but after many years away from the lighted stage, some of these past students returned to play their hearts out in Schuler Performing Arts Center. They joined current students who someday may have successful careers as... Read more »

Finding inspiration in hidden places

Finding inspiration in hidden places

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
March 5, 2013
Filed under Art, Features, Most Recent, Top Stories

Josh Espinosa, 18, Missoula, is actually not an art major. Matter-of-fact, he had given up on art in elementary school due to frustration.  It wasn’t until his mother’s eigth-grade art class when Espinosa found this inspiration again. “Being in an artistic environment with her really helped bring... Read more »

Jazz Fever

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
February 18, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Features

The NIC Jazz vocal and ensemble opened... Read more »

Things are getting ‘thrifty’

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
February 18, 2013
Filed under Features, Life

Much of the NIC... Read more »

Brief: Recital prepares students for Jazz Concert

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
February 5, 2013
Filed under Features, Most Recent

Many talented musicians gathered on Thursday for a recital performance in Boswell hall. The students performed instrumental as well as vocal pieces for a crowd consisting of people on their way to class as well as other music department students. The students showed the progress they have made so... Read more »

Christmas concert fills audience with Christmas spirit

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
December 8, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Most Recent

Many students, parents, and music appreciators gathered on the first of December to watch the annual Sounds of Christmas concert performed in Boswell Hall. The performance featured jazz and traditional chorales alongside orchestral band performances. The choral performers and wind symphony played a... Read more »

Corner Gallery: Primordial Muse

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
November 16, 2012
Filed under Art, Most Recent

Lanny Bergner has been in the art world for many years now. After showing off his artworks around the country, the acclaimed artist brings his sculptures to NIC Collecting over 21 awards and grants from all over the country, Bergner has shown to be a credible artist, earning both a BFA in sculpture... Read more »

Beer and bud: substance abuse on campus

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
November 15, 2012
Filed under Crime, Life, Most Recent

College is a time of experimentation. While many students are looking to celebrate their new sense of freedom, some find themselves caught up in costly situations involving drugs and alcohol that may cause them to end up without a diploma. Most young adults find comfort in alcohol use, which in turn,... Read more »

Opinion: Idaho wage laws unfair

Tyson Juarez, Staff Writer
October 29, 2012
Filed under Most Recent, Opinion

Lately I’ve been lending an ear to a dear friend of mine who is having some troubles at her job. From the stories she has told me, her main issues don’t concern things such as hazardous conditions or harsh hours, but instead, her issue is with the rate of pay she is receiving. According to Idaho’s... Read more »

Longboarder Surfs Waves of Concrete

Longboarder Surfs Waves of Concrete

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
October 28, 2012
Filed under Life, Sports

Clack! Clack! Clack! Such a noise is common on the NIC campus as many longboarders cruise across the pavement, making their way to their various classes. One example of such a boarder is NIC student Andrew Steiner, 19, Spokane. He says he is constantly swooping around campus, surfing across the concrete... Read more »

Local band refreshing take on heavy metal

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
October 28, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Local Coeur d’... Read more »

Stormo and Frenette host great concert at Lecture Hall

Tyson Juarez, Staff Writer
October 6, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Unique jazz and folk duo Sean Frenette and Lindsey Stormo performed an out-of-this-world set at the Todd Lecture hall on Thursday, October 4. The duo, based out of Portland, brings a mesmerizing blend of old school jazz and modern folk to the table. Frenette and Stormo created raw emotion using only... Read more »

Opinion: Internet ‘memes’ not memorable

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
October 6, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

Anyone with a computer knows that Facebook is quite a big deal in the social media world. Upon its launch, Facebook was lauded as being possibly the best social media tool on the Internet. With its easy account set up and the ability to chat with old and new friends from across the globe right from... Read more »

Rockin’ out in Post Falls

Tyson Juarez, Staff Writer
October 1, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

The thermometers hit 83 degrees as many proud rockers and music lovers packed into Greyhound Park to witness a day filled with live music and other festivities. The energy from the show could be seen as the whole crowd expressed their passion towards their favorite artists by fist pumping wildly and... Read more »

Speaker sharpens kNIFVES

Tyson Juarez, Features Editor
September 15, 2012
Filed under Life

A kNIFVES meeting was held in the back room of Coeur d’ Alene restaurant Seasons on Thursday, September 13. WJ Lazerus, the president of kNIFVES, took to the front of the room full of guests eager to hear announcements and a small speech to be given by indie filmmaker Rebecca Cook. “I’ve always... Read more »