Connect with us

The Sentinel

English Club Hosts Ecocriticism Talk

Uncategorized

English Club Hosts Ecocriticism Talk

Thanks to the English Club, some NIC students now know a little more about ecocriticism.

On Feb. 26 the club hosted a lecture by University of Idaho (UI) English professor, Dr. Scott Slovic titled “What is Ecocriticism?”

The talk was composed of two parts: one concerning the topic in question, and then one covering a unique class being offered at University of Idaho (UI) that would help expand on it.

So what exactly is ecocriticism?

Ecocriticism is an interdisciplinary study of literature and the environment to help all the sciences come together in order to brainstorm possible ways to correct contemporary environmental problems.

Ecocriticism was introduced by Slovic as being defined somewhat differently over time, with the movement having gone through three major “waves” in its time.

In fact, he thinks that there might be a fourth in the works now.

For students interested in the subject, UI offers an extensive wilderness immersion experience at the Frank Church River of No Return at the Taylor Wilderness Research Station in central Idaho.

The program sends students into the world to become leaders, study stream ecology, witness economic impacts in the wilderness, and learn plant identification.

T.J. Gossard is The Sentinel student newspaper's Features assistant editor, and is also the president of NIC Film Club and NIC's Phi Theta Kappa Delta Kappa Chapter. Gossard intends to become a film director and is currently practicing skills of communication and multitasking by taking on club duties and pursuing an A.A. in Communications at North Idaho College.

More in Uncategorized

To Top