Bringing down the house

Bringing down the house

Jantzen Hunsaker, Staff Writer
October 21, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Features

The 5th annual Fall Concert of the NIC Choirs took place once again at the First Presbyterian Church downtown Coeur d’Alene on October 16th. For the last five years the NIC Chorale and Chamber singers have opened their season with a concert at the church. The concert is generally arranged around a... Read more »

Rigoletto brings opera to Schuler

Rigoletto brings opera to Schuler

Jantzen Hunsaker, Staff Writer
September 15, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Features, Most Recent, Top Stories

Schuler Auditorium hosted Opera Coeur d’Alene Friday night for their production of “Rigoletto,” a 19th century Opera of acclaimed composer Giuseppe Verdi. According to Aaron Nicholson, Artistic Director at Opera CDA, he chose “Rigoletto” for a two reasons. The Opera “Rigoletto” is widely... Read more »

Opinion: Badge of Geekdom

Jantzen Hunsaker, Webmaster
October 6, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

I can name every Link series ever made. I know the background story of most red shirt-wearing Trek crew. I can easily make puns to tie into most anything. I was a geek before it was cool. I don’t have four first names or hyphens, I don’t have designer eyeglasses, and I don’t look good in skinny... Read more »

Opinion: Tobacco problems still smoldering

Jantzen Hunsaker, Web Master
February 13, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

Will that be smoking or non? Most smokers are considerate and polite with their habit.  Most I know even wish they could get rid of it.  But there are those around campus who feel that their rights are being trampled by the Tobacco-Free decision. Bollocks and poppycock. Cancer is one of the... Read more »

NIC hosts Warren Miller film

Jantzen Hunsaker, Webmaster
December 5, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

This year, the winter sports season started off earlier than it has in decades. For once, the snow beat out the local showing of “Like There’s No Tomorrow,” the 2011 Warren Miller film. Avid skiers (or anyone who has wanted to be) have probably heard the name... Read more »

Local middle schools ‘band’ together

Jantzen Hunsaker, Webmaster
December 5, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

It was a full house as eighth-grade musicians from 12 local schools gathered to form two bands for one full night of music. “This should be an excellent performance,” said Rick Weirick, Rathdrum. Weirick and his wife came to watch their son, Terren, who plays... Read more »

Opinion: Piracy is wrong, censoring isn’t any better

Jantzen Hunsaker, Webmaster
December 4, 2011
Filed under Opinion, Perspectives

...according to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) bill, anyway --The year: 2011. The crime: Doing a YouTube sing-a-long to an unlicensed version of “Single Ladies” by Beyonce; but this is only your first offense, surely you’ll just be asked to remove... Read more »

Fundraiser at Eagles stars local band of educators

Jantzen Hunsaker, Webmaster
November 16, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

The Rhythm Dawgs played a fundraiser concert at the Eagles Club on Sherman Avenue Friday and Saturday evenings, Nov. 4 and 5, with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the NIC Alumni Association to help support scholarships, programs and activities. “We all love NIC,” said Jim Lien, retired principal... Read more »